Systems and Networking Manager
Two Barrels is hiring a Systems and Networking Manager for $160,000/year. You will be a traditional company employee. This is a full time 40 hour M-F onsite position with company benefits in Spokane, Washington.
You will be part of a dynamic technical team responsible for designing, building, and delivering key technical solutions such as: servers, containers, storage, networking, voice, data centers, security solutions, and monitoring tools. Our job is to ensure that our customers have the best experience possible, utilizing the vast number of technical solutions that we provide. Our vision is to enhance the quality, resiliency and scalability of the technology services delivered to our clients and our customer service teams.
In this role, you will lead the development and deployment of all network infrastructure, server infrastructure and telecom operations including Virtual Server environments, SAN solutions, LAN/WAN, VOIP and disaster recovery capability. You will be responsible for managing and overseeing the implementation, integration, installation and operation of server, network and telecommunication infrastructure. You will provide supervision and coaching for the Systems and Network team while setting vision and direction to inspire and drive continuous improvement. You have also kept your coding skills sharp and bring an unwavering passion for managing the dynamics of a fast-paced environment.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or related field or related work experience
- 7+ years of experience in network design, support, troubleshooting and implementation
- 7+ years of experience working as an architect in developing and delivering infrastructure services that support an enterprise
- Expertise in an agile workflow methodology. Preferably SCRUM or Kanban
- Experience in managing day to day operations in the trenches
- You prefer open source solutions but understand when oligarchic licensing submission just makes more sense
- Expertise in managing and motivating systems, networking, help desk, and engineering employees
- Expert knowledge of network and systems engineering concepts including the software development life cycle
- Expert knowledge of the systems life cycle from need identification and requirements through operation and disposal
- Expert knowledge of choosing the appropriate life cycle and planning, monitoring and control of the systems engineering process.
- Specific experience in developing network-wide software or distributed systems
- Experience and understanding of networking services consisting of Virtual and Physical network functions
- Experience in Linux system administration
- VOIP experience, ideally Asterisk
- Experience with FreeIPA as an identity management tool
- Hands-on development experience in one or more of the following: Linux scripting, especially for TCP/IP stack, Firewalls (iptables), DNS, VPN's. Programming aptitude in one or more of the following: Python, Java, GO, Ruby, PHP
- Experience in designing virtualized compute environments, i.e., Docker, LXC, KVM
- Experience with AWS and their key services, i.e., RDS, ECS, IAM, Cloudwatch
- Experience with deployment or use of configuration management tools such as Ansible, Puppet, or Chef
- Knowledge of TCP/IP
- Experience with cloud related tools, products, i.e., Docker Swarm, Open vSwitch, Ceph
- Knowledge of PHP, NGINX, MySQL, Exim, Postfix would be helpful
- Experience with large scale zero touch server provisioning
- Familiarity with network device configuration and management (Cisco, PFSense, IPTables, Open vSwitch)
- Proven success record of working with internet organizations to set industry direction
Why you might like this job:
Why on earth would you like this job? I mean, it’s not Facebook, Microsoft, Google, or Amazon. I mean we’re looking for someone that’s skilled enough to get a job there doing exactly this but we’re on such a smaller scale so we’re probably not offering anywhere close to what they would offer… Why might you like this job?
You obviously enjoy managing people but your heart is tech and systems. You somehow have this crazy skill you’ve created for yourself by starting with an engineering mindset to understand systems and networking, getting a little bored and reaching further to learn how to manage people because you just need a challenge.
Somehow, your current job or history wasn’t good enough for you, and you find yourself wandering help wanted ads every now and then wondering if there’s just something else. You crave the challenge of managing unsocialized brainiacs and not just commanding them with marching orders. You figure out what makes them tick, what makes them happy, and find fulfillment out of building vibrant amazing teams of geeks… You’ve somehow grown your management skills without becoming just another dumb Ted Talk, self help book reciting figure head manager that can’t get anything done. You get stuff done. You move mountains of to-do lists. You manage your engineers by helping them become better people, more organized, provide technical guidance when needed, pick them up when they fall, and help them see where they can improve themselves instead of you having to always point it out.
And then on top of all that somehow you value family and want to live in a community like Spokane where you can afford a great home. $160,000 provides an incredible lifestyle, and you want a work life balance. You don’t have time to pursue 200+ because you want to go home and do your thing or your families thing. You don’t want to work 50 hours a week slaving away for a massive salary. You don’t want to work at some weird place where stockholders are bugging you or there’s a manipulative bonus or stock purgatory options benefits you think you have, or you’re always wondering when the massive conglomerate will be sold and your job shipped to their existing corporate headquarters. You just want a good stable place to work, make an impact, do your job, find fulfillment in the tough work, and go home and be with your family, your dog, your friends, or whatever makes you tick. If you’re the crazy person into all that and you’re still with me. Let’s see if Two Barrels might be what you’ve always been looking for in a job.
- Great Wage & Success Meetings with your manager
- Work From Home comfort package & company provided equipment
- 22 days paid time off annually, PLUS 4 paid holidays
- 4% 401k employer matching through Fidelity
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental and vision for employees
- Maternity and Paternity Leave
- Flexible hours
- Coffee shop next door
Crappy parking?Oh, I mean a cool downtown location for easy public transportation options…