Senior Software Engineer (Ruby on Rails)
Two Barrels is hiring Senior Software Engineers specializing in Ruby on Rails for $140,000/year. You will be a traditional company employee. This is a full time 40 hour/week position with company benefits.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be given large projects and be expected to break these projects into medium-sized tasks for our Software Engineers, all while maintaining focus on the big picture goals and projects. You will have the opportunity to make a direct impact on architecture design. You’ll get to work with a team of engineers who like to do things the right way versus plowing through just to meet a goal. We have no investors or micro-managed goals. We just want to make high-end software that is easy to continually improve.
You can expect a diverse team with different backgrounds, experience and identities. You will have current members of the team eager to help you get up to speed as quickly as possible. Solid fundamentals with software, teamwork, systems, and troubleshooting will pave the way.
Location:Spokane, WA or Remote
Wage:$140,000/year **$25,000 hiring bonus**
- Be a good human
- Treat your co-workers with respect
- Have a Growth Mindset, not a Fixed Mindset
- Remember that it's a marathon, not a sprint. Help us bring calm to what can creep into a rush
- Design, implement, document, and maintain front and back end systems for high-traffic applications
- Help peel off monolith code into well-organized architecture
- Help drive technical standards for the team
- Design and implement novel systems from scratch, from billing to all kinds of crazy ideas we come up with
- Help us set a high bar for quality, from code and systems to how we treat each other
- Take substantial features from concept to shipping
- Provide material feedback on the work of junior and mid-level programmers
- Monitor and ensure automated processes run as expected
- Perform routine automation assignments with minimum supervision
- Communicate consistently with stakeholders, managers, and other teams about releases
- Participate in the training or development of others, as directed
- Be willing to learn, grow, and help all of us continually get better at what we do
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or other equivalent degree/experience
- Minimum of 6 years full stack application development, software test automation experience, object oriented development, working with relational databases, and writing SQL queries or stored procedures
- High level of ability coding in Ruby and expert level familiarity with the Rails framework
- Advanced level of querying in ORMs such as ActiveRecord and Sequel
- Experience with large Rails/Rack- based applications
- Experience mentoring junior to mid-level engineers while balancing current work
- High proficiency in some of the following AWS services: ECS, EC2, S3, CloudWatch, RDS, ElasticSearch, VPC
Why you might like this job:
You’ve been building large rails apps for other companies. The ones with carrots dangling in front of you, hipster benefits and slippery ladders. You’ve always wondered if there’s a place where profits and titles aren’t everyone’s motivation. Where people just want you to make great software. You like the idea of working for a locally-owned and operated company that competes in an extremely competitive space nationwide. You like that your work matters today and will affect millions of our business customers.
You like the idea that you could find a place like this in Spokane, where we have 4 seasons. Where you can buy a great house for a great price with no epic commute. You like that there are 5 ski hills within 2 hours and endless outdoor activities. You don’t like bugs or humidity or a million people living in your city.
You love to code, but you want to take part in the planning without being required to deal with stakeholders and project managers all day. You want to make cool stuff. You want your cool stuff to be really good. But most importantly, if you made a dish of noodles and butter for someone and asked them what they thought of it, if they said it was okay or good and didn’t give you feedback, you’d feel a little left out… you’d want a little more… because okay or good isn’t fulfilling to you.
But at the same time… it’s just a job. Yourself/Family/Friends/Personal Time is number 1. Work is number 2 or 3. Our goal is to use the incredible business we are excited to be a part of to support all of our personal time. We all want to live a full personal life. We’ll have more fun working together during the day if we know there’s a clear cutoff. This way, we can create a work environment where we can not only go home at the end of the day, but mentally shut off work and mentally go home also. We focus on creating a welcoming, supportive job environment that pays well and doesn’t stress you out, so when you call it a day, you go have fun personally.
- Great Wage
- WFH comfort package
- 18 days paid time off (flexible time off after 5 years)
- 4 paid holidays off of your choosing (additional 7 holidays off after 3 years)
- 4% retirement matching through a Charles Schwab 401(k)
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental and vision for employees
- Maternity and Paternity Leave
- Flexible hours
- Coffee shop next door
Crappy parking?Oh, I mean a cool downtown location for easy public transportation options…