Senior DevOps Engineer
Two Barrels is hiring a Sr. DevOps Engineer. You will be a traditional company employee. This is a full time 40 hour/week position with company benefits. This is a remote position. Our main office is in Spokane WA, and we have satellite offices in Austin TX and Salt Lake City UT.
You’ll work directly with other DevOps engineers on our teams, and alongside the rest of engineering to build, automate, and manage our infrastructures so they can focus on their applications! If you’re looking for an opportunity to work at a scale few ever get to, this could be the right place for you!
What’s in a title?
Here at Two Barrels we don’t take titles very seriously. We know for recruiting purposes we need to call our jobs something, so we started with labeling and differentiating them in a fairly traditional way with “junior, mid, senior”. However, we’ve realized that was putting our employees in a box and wasn’t allowing us to uniquely identify their individual contributions, strengths and professional goals. Once you join our team the titles kinda get dropped as we expect everyone to work with everyone regardless of title or experience. We have taken the approach of evaluating candidates and employees on a “level” basis. It makes it a little easier internally to talk about growing into the next level without there being this huge chasm between what it means to be a Junior Engineer vs. a Mid Engineer. Our levels have expectations set for each one and it’s the responsibility of the manager and employee to make sure there is alignment. We do this through quarterly conversations where we discuss employee progression, if the work is challenging, and to ensure they feel fairly compensated for their work and expertise. Basically, levels gives us more flexibility to help people grow in their careers. But sure, you can post your title on LinkedIn as what makes sense to the rest of the world.
Location:Spokane, WA | Austin, TX | Salt Lake, UT | Remote
- Be an automation advocate: you're passionate about finding ways to help speed up development processes.
- Manage AWS IAM users and IAM permissions through terraform
- Maintain and improve the team’s workflow. Work with senior developers to propose ideas and establish priority
- Look for improvements to lower or minimize team’s cloud footprint to save or limit spending
- Maintain, improve, and add to Kubernetes architecture
- You have 5+ years of professional software experience in DevOps or a related field
- Experience working with tools like Terraform / Ansible / CloudFormation
- Experience with Docker
- Experienced and comfortable working in Git
- Experience with scripting (preferably ruby)
- Good knowledge of Cloud based architecture design patterns
- Strong Troubleshooting abilities
- Attention to detail
- Experience with AWS - EC2, ECS, RDS, SNS, VPC, Route53, SecretsManager, S3, Lambda, Autoscaling
- Experience with disaster recovery and cloud security
- Experience with relational SQL database, we use Postgres
- Experience with Kubernetes - EKS, GKE, AKS, Helm, Helm Charts
- Experience building and maintaining CI / CD pipelines, we use Drone
- Experience with visualizing metrics using cloud analytics tools, we use Grafana
Why you might like this job:
You’ve been always looking for that job that gives you the freedom to build crazy tools from scratch. You’ve always wondered if there’s a place where profits and titles aren’t everyone’s motivation. Where people just want you to make great software tools. You like the idea of working for a locally-owned and operated company that competes in an extremely competitive space nationwide. You like that your work matters today and will affect millions of our business customers and employees.
You love to help people, but you want to take part in the planning without being required to deal with stakeholders and project managers all day. You want to make cool stuff and help other devs out and the company. You want your cool stuff to be really good. But most importantly, if you made a dish of noodles and butter for someone and asked them what they thought of it, if they said it was okay or good and didn’t give you feedback, you’d feel a little left out… you’d want a little more… because okay or good isn’t fulfilling to you.
But at the same time… it’s just a job. Yourself/Family/Friends/Personal Time is number 1. Work is number 2 or 3. Our goal is to use the incredible business we are excited to be a part of to support all of our personal time. We all want to live a full personal life. We’ll have more fun working together during the day if we know there’s a clear cutoff. This way, we can create a work environment where we can not only go home at the end of the day, but mentally shut off work and mentally go home also. We focus on creating a welcoming, supportive job environment that pays well and doesn’t stress you out, so when you call it a day, you go have fun personally.
- Great Wage
- WFH comfort package
- 22 days paid time off (29 days after 3 years. Flexible time off after 5 years!)
- 4% retirement matching through a Charles Schwab 401(k)
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental and vision for employees
- Maternity and Paternity Leave
- Flexible hours
- Coffee shop next door
Crappy parking?Oh, I mean a cool downtown location for easy public transportation options…