Director of Front End Development
Two Barrels is hiring a Director of Front-End Development to lead our Front-End Development team. You will be a traditional company employee. This is a full time 40 hour/week position with company benefits.
The role of “Director” is still pretty new to us. But, we’ve grown to the size of needing a Director of FE Development, and the title itself is less relevant than the work you’ll be doing. If you’re caught up on the idea of being a “Director” for the prestige or high-fluffery, this isn’t gonna work. Our main goal is that our directors are leading, pushing, and mentoring our teams to be better developers and make better websites. We own and manage well over 100 websites, and you’ll be in charge of 15-30 developers. Or less. Or more. It’s fluid and the driving force is doing good work and making employees happy.
You should really enjoy technical and tactical leadership and understand what projects to tackle to make the most impact across the organization. But, you should still be more than comfortable coding. You should know more about ES6 aside from the fact that it now exists. If your coding skills require you to dust them off after being on a shelf for awhile, we’re looking for someone who never put them on a shelf in the first place. We don’t view our Director level as “managers.” We have Operations Managers that aren’t super technical based that fulfill that role. Your focus should be to push technical expertise, growth, and website success. We believe in pushing and supporting here more than leading. We try to provide an environment where people can have the freedom and space to reach their potential and our job as directors, leaders, or whatever you call it is to help them.
This is a remote or work wherever you want position. We’d prefer you be around Spokane, Salt Lake, or Austin to have a hub base out of one of our three main offices, but we’re open to good talent anywhere in the US.
Location:Remote | Spokane – Austin – SLC |
- Run our front-end development teams for future growth
- Develop solutions and optimizations related to our marketing websites
- Focus on team culture and personal development
- Participate in technical decisions and design for long-term use/success
- Guide the release of MVPs with the goal of improving over time
- Identify and correct issues that impact performance, reliability, and scalability
- Work with a team of writers and designers to crank out awesome websites
- Mentor developers on your team
- You can show a lot of screw ups you've had and how you've pivoted on large scale applications
- 5+ years’ experience managing and developing teams of 15-30 developers
- Experience managing multiple teams within a development department
- Very comfortable with Wordpress and developing custom Wordpress themes (like, very comfortable)
- Experience working cross functionally in an Agile environment
- Up to date on industry trends, best practices and change management
- BS in CS, Design, Engineering or relevant work experience
- Interest in learning/researching new technologies and web development trends/practices
- Strong analytical skills with excellent problem solving abilities
- Strong desire to build, deliver results, take ownership, and drive projects
- Experience (and a passion for) mentoring front-end developers in a professional environment
- You're maybe a little quirky but manage to be an excellent communicator
- You have led a team of 30+ hardworking, passionate, smart people and helped them and the company they work for achieve!
- You’re a nice person
- If we had the sophistication and organization, we could use 100+ front end developers, but we’re a long ways from that. That should excite you not scare you to be a part of that journey.
Why you might like this job:
You’re someone with an eye for cool websites that actually serve their intended purposes. You have no problem acknowledging mistakes and taking the steps to correct them. You’re also able to recognize the noise for what it is: just noise. If that sounds like you, and you’d like to share the things you’ve learned over the years with some of our less-experienced devs while recognizing that you don’t always have to be the smartest person in the room, we’d love to have you be a part of our team and help make us better.
We’re family owned and operated. Our business heavily relies on these websites to attract new customers and serve our existing ones. We’re into open source and you should be also. We have a lot of good humans that work here, but we want to help them grow and fulfill their mental stimulation. We need help with that process, and we as a company are going to accomplish amazing things along the way.
- Great Wage
- WFH comfort package & company provided equipment
- 22 days paid time off (29 days after 3 years. Flexible time off after 5 years!)+ 4 paid holidays
- 4% retirement matching through Fidelity
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental and vision for employees
- Maternity and Paternity Leave
- Flexible hours
- Coffee shop next door
Crappy parking?Oh, I mean a cool downtown location for easy public transportation options…