CTO / XTO – Chief Technology Officer
As a company, Two Barrels has grown into the Inland Northwest’s largest tech employer. Our development team is focused on solving client problems, doing good work, being good to each other, and being compensated well for their efforts. We have around 100,000 sq ft of office space in the Spokane area but are committed to employing people working wherever, indefinitely. We also have hubs in Austin and Salt Lake, but there’s no requirement for people to use them or go work there.
Even though we’re rapidly becoming a larger company, we’re doing so as a family-owned and operated business, with no venture capital, no investors, no private equity, and no debt. So you have no employees here because of vested interests in shares of stock. We’re just here because this is our sport. This is our craft. We’re a wily bunch. And we’re looking for a wily leader who’s been the Technical Leader of large software and IT groups before.
The main thing we require is that you’ve been the Technical and Human leader that brought 2-3+ large scale software applications to the finish line. Whether that was from scratch, or redoing a current application, you have the skills to lead and work with many cross tech skillsets and deal with high impact software apps. We are looking for someone that comes from a heavy software background where it has been your roles focus. You will need to be able to demonstrate this.
Wage:$402,000 / year. Plus $40,000 relocation package to Spokane if needed. We are family owned and run, so there's no share compensation or bonus structure as part of the compensation package. And whatever compensation packages and terms you feel are normal for executives, that won't be the case here. It's just an insane wage for Spokane, great co-workers, and a goal of creating a great quality of life job for yourself and those around you. Relocation assistance available for Spokane WA only. What you see here IS THE OFFER. It's not a starting point. We employ over 700 good folks and have been transparent about job wages way before it was cool to post actual wages. What you see is what you get. Every executive here has the exact same benefits package as the entry level mail scanner, so don't ask for more. The group of folks here are special and we need a leader for them that gets us, not just a robot used to what it knows.
- Be the technical true north star and leader for software, websites, IT, voip, fintech, email hosting, web hosting platforms, and domain registration operations.
- Grow, Scale, lead, and manage our tech staff. You should be comfortable running 200-500 onsite and distributed employees.
- You can demonstrate a technical background and that this isn't just a degree you got 20 years ago, it's a passion you currently have.
- You can show us in detail how you've been the technical and human leader at previous roles.
- We're organized via products. This should be a very familiar concept for you.
- You like Agile, but you're flexible enough to make your own variety of the concepts that work best for what you have to work with.
- The job will primarily be onsite while you figure out what on earth is going on here. We'll pay to relocate you to Spokane if you're not already here. If you already have a strong network in Austin or Salt Lake City, we can consider a position based there. We're about 95% working remote at this point and will probably be largely remote for awhile. You should be comfortable managing onsite and from a video screen.
- We have virtually zero Microsoft or 3rd party software licenses. We can't figure out how to get those pesky accountants into open source products that don't work as well, but we're a 99.99% open source shop. We make and connect things instead of buying things. Like, we made our own crm system, entity management software, phone, email, open source chat and video hosted on our own servers, open source firewalls, hardware; this is just how we're wired. We make and connect, we don't buy into services that we'll be beholden to. If you're used to managing large budgets where you buy your way out of problems with support contracts and pre-made solutions....that's not us. We ramp up the staff and learn it ourselves so we're not reliant on submitting a support ticket and hoping our problems go away when the vendor has time. You should be really really really really into open source solutions or we'll all struggle with alignment here. You'll also need to be able to pull your head out of the weeds and not spend 5 peoples' salaries and a year making something you could have bought for 14 bucks a month and had working in a week. Did I mention you should be into open source? You shouldn't have to google "libre" right now.
- You can demonstrate 2-3+ large scale software applications you've taken from the beginning of the project to finished product and how you worked with many skillsets and large sub sections of employees to accomplish it.
- Your experience in Technical Leadership is at Software or technology companies. We're not looking for a CTO of a random city or large non techy organization.
- A lot of tech failures and pivots.
- Built and scaled up large work forces without the use of manipulative shares and bonuses that rarely pan out.
- Built up and maintained teams of employees and can show a track record of making employees happy.
- You could demonstrate large resurfacing initiatives where you've dug out of crazy technical debt holes you've found yourself in.
- You've made something interesting recently that you're embarrassed to tell anyone about because it's so freaking ridiculous.
Why you might like this job:
- Great Wage & Success Meetings with your manager
- Work From Home comfort package & company provided equipment
- 22 days paid time off annually, PLUS 4 paid holidays
- 4% 401k employer matching through Fidelity
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental and vision for employees
- Maternity and Paternity Leave
- Flexible hours
- Coffee shop next door
Crappy parking?Oh, I mean a cool downtown location for easy public transportation options…