A Two Barrels Guide to The Non-Traditional Cover Letter
Two Barrels is a highly sought-after workplace, and we’re constantly seeking incredible talent. But, we don’t want to read a cover letter that basically repeats everything listed on your resume. Our team actually reads cover letters and considers them an essential part of the hiring process.
So, how do you write a cover letter that screams, “Pick me!” louder than everyone else? Your first step is to take the traditional cover letter template and throw it out the window.
What does that even look like?
That’s really up to you—it’s your cover letter. But, we totally understand that there aren’t a lot of companies out there asking candidates for non-traditional cover letters. So, here’s a quick breakdown of where you can start:
- Research us. Some of the strongest cover letters we’ve received were written by applicants who did significant research on our company. So, after you carefully read the job description, check out the other pages on our site—maybe even read a few of our other blogs. Get to know us. You could work here someday. Why not get a feel for who we are, what we value, and our company culture?
- Focus on passion. Tell us why you want this particular job. How does it align with your career goals? What specific job experiences and qualifications make you a natural fit for this position and our team?
- Emphasize your enthusiasm. Share a story or anecdote that demonstrates your enthusiasm for your field. What made you choose this particular career path? We want to hire people who actually like their professions. For example, we don’t want an SEO expert who can’t stand keyword research and hates talking about schema.
Wait a minute. This sounds a lot like a traditional cover letter.
To be fair, yes, it does. And, we still want to hear why you chose to apply to Two Barrels and what specifically about our company spoke to you. However, we also want to learn about you, the human being. We want your cover letter to showcase what makes you unique and different from other candidates. So, write a cover letter that shows off your mad credentials and reveals a bit of your personality. Feel free to:
- Use casual language. If you’re a button-up, three-piece suit kind of person, then, by all means, use phrases like “monitored the evolution in marketing” or “leveraged data.” But, you can also write the way you talk—using contractions and exclamation points. You could even utilize a little humor. We’re cool with that.
- Consider other formats. Using the traditional letter format is fine—no one will hold it against you. But, you could also list out your qualifications in bullet points or create a chart outlining specific skills and attributes you would bring to our team. Don’t get bogged down by what some job expert says is the perfect cover letter. This is your time to shine—so shine!
- Tell us who you are outside of your resume. If you’re applying to be a Front-End Developer and you once created a custom website as an invitation to your pet lizard’s birthday party, feel free to include that in your cover letter. Or, if you’re an aspiring content writer who loves to write queer romance novels on the side, then we want to hear about it. In fact, one of our current team members was once a bonafide, professional clown.
Our team is interested in all sides of you—the career-driven side and the casual side who wears cargo pants and socks with sandals.
Are you guys for real?
Yes. We’re very real. We’re just not your average company. Two Barrels is made up of a group of fun, inclusive, and endearing weirdos who celebrate each other. We want to hire talented, super experienced candidates who are also good, decent humans.
So, when you’re ready to apply for any of our current positions, show us who you really are. Once you land an interview, we’ll figure out (together) if Two Barrels is a good fit. Good luck! We’re looking forward to reading your non-traditional cover letter.
Categorized in: Uncategorized