Software Engineer (Ruby on Rails)
Two Barrels is hiring Software Engineer for $110,000/year. This is a full time 40 hour/week employee position with company benefits in Spokane, Washington.
This particular job is for Ruby experience, but we understand that ROR or a flavor of Ruby isn’t super common locally. If you have solid software engineering experience in a different language, we have a path to this mid level software engineer role by coming on board as a JR ROR Software Engineer and working together to monitor how quickly you get up to speed on Ruby with the intent of moving you to this Mid Level Ruby on Rails Software Engineer role when you become proficient in ROR.
About the Job:
At Two Barrels, you will work with a close-knit group of engineers who come from a diverse mix of backgrounds and experiences. We build out exciting new Rails projects, as well as maintain and refactor older Rack-based ones built in POR. We are constantly evolving, growing and willing to try new technologies and techniques, as long as we meet the business’s needs.
We want someone who is eager to learn and help others but can also take on a project independently and be just fine. Our team supports each other and understands not everyone is the same – some of us are great at CI/CD development, some of us are wizards at SQL, and others just love Plain Old Ruby – meaning although we expect you to work the full-stack, we also understand if you prefer to work in one area more than another.
How to Apply:
Wage:$110,000/year **$10,000 hiring bonus**
- Be a good human
- Treat your co-workers with respect
- Have a Growth Mindset, not a Fixed Mindset
- Help us consistently release high-end software
- Monitor and ensure automated processes run as expected
- Help design and build high traffic applications in ROR
- Help peel off monolith POR code into well-organized ROR code
- Help design and build novel systems from scratch
- Bachelor's Degree in related field or related work experience
- 3+ years professional experience with full stack application development
- Intimately familiar with Rails and Ruby
- You find satisfaction in a job well done and want to solve hard problems
- Experience with designing, building, and maintaining efficient, reusable, and reliable Ruby code
- Strong grasp of security principles and how they apply to e-commerce applications
- Experience in planning and delivering software
- Able to work in an agile environment with a focus on continuous integration
- Comfortable with using Docker
- Comfortable working with Vue
- General understanding of AWS and the services within: ECS, EC2, S3, and RDS
- You bring some weird or quirky new aspect of living and humanity to our workforce
- Parrot whisperer
Why you might like this job:
You’ve been building large rails apps for other companies. The ones with carrots dangling in front of you, hipster benefits and slippery ladders. You’ve always wondered if there’s a place where profits and titles aren’t everyone’s motivation. Where people just want you to make great software. You like the idea of working for a locally-owned and operated company that competes in an extremely competitive space nationwide. You like that your work matters today and will affect millions of our business customers.
You like the idea that you could find a place like this in Spokane, where we have 4 seasons. Where you can buy a great house for a great price with no epic commute. You like that there are 5 ski hills within 2 hours and endless outdoor activities. You don’t like bugs or humidity or a million people living in your city.
You love to code, but you want to take part in the planning without being required to deal with stakeholders and project managers all day. You want to make cool stuff. You want your cool stuff to be really good. But most importantly, if you made a dish of noodles and butter for someone and asked them what they thought of it, if they said it was okay or good and didn’t give you feedback, you’d feel a little left out… you’d want a little more… because okay or good isn’t fulfilling to you.
But at the same time… it’s just a job. Yourself/Family/Friends/Personal Time is number 1. Work is number 2 or 3. Our goal is to use the incredible business we are excited to be a part of to support all of our personal time. We all want to live a full personal life. We’ll have more fun working together during the day if we know there’s a clear cutoff. This way, we can create a work environment where we can not only go home at the end of the day, but mentally shut off work and mentally go home also. We focus on creating a welcoming, supportive job environment that pays well and doesn’t stress you out, so when you call it a day, you go have fun personally.
- Great Wage
- 18 days paid time off
- 4 paid holidays off of your choosing
- 3% retirement matching through a Fidelity Simple IRA
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental and vision for employees
- Maternity and Paternity Leave
- Flexible hours
- Pizza across the street
Crappy parking?Oh, I mean a cool downtown location for easy public transportation options…