Director of Software Engineering
Two Barrels in Spokane, Washington is hiring as many Directors of Software Engineering as we can find to lead our growing team of developers. You’ll be a leader of how we engineer stuff. From software to architecture. We’re not really hung up on titles here… so call yourself Director, or Head, or Conductor. We kinda like Conductor as your main role will be ensuring that our engineering team stays on the rails. Our “Director” level is a level here in development. You could say we’re still engineering it as we speak, but our main goal is that our directors of this or that have groups of engaged engineers and coders that they are technically leading, pushing, and mentoring to be better engineers and make better products here. We run about 50 products and you’ll be in charge of 15-30 engineers. Or less… Or more… It’s fluid and the driving force is doing good work and making employees happy.
You’re an excellent coder still, we’re talking hardcore tech skills with an affinity for open source. But you also really enjoy mentoring and supporting other engineers when it comes to technical leadership to tackle the most impactful projects across the organization. We don’t view our Director level as “managers”. We have Software Development Managers and Operations Managers that aren’t super technical based. Within our company, this is the career path coders take that would rather stay more technical than people manager.
This is a remote or work whatever you want position. We’d prefer you be around Spokane, Salt Lake, or Austin to have a hub base out of one of our three main technical offices, but we’re open to good talent anywhere in the US.
Location:Spokane WA, Austin TX, Salt Lake UT vicinity preferred
Wage:$200,000/year. We are family owned and run, so there's no share compensation or bonus structure as part of the compensation package.
- All Engineering: Software, Database, Architecture, etc.
- Manage and scale our teams for future growth
- Develop solutions and applications for business services, while leading and mentoring the team
- Focus on team culture and personal development
- Ensure technical feasibility of software and API designs
- Drive product roadmap and execution, and participate in technical design
- Identify and correct issues that impact performance, reliability, and scalability
- You can show a lot of screwups you've had and how you've pivoted on large scale applications
- You can show how you've lead and managed large scale software and developer engineering teams
- 7+ years' experience with software development and engineering (Ruby preferred but not required)
- 5+ years’ experience managing and developing software development teams of 15-30 engineers and support
- Understanding of cloud (AWS) architectures and design patterns
- Experience working cross functionally in an Agile environment
- Experience developing mission critical applications and solutions
- Ability to design complete systems. Up to date on industry trends, best practices and change management
- 10-15 years of front-end, back-end and REST API software design and implementation of commercial software products or 3-5 years of SaaS based product development
- You're a nice person
- You're amazing at communicating but also the true technical lead with all things engineering and development
- You have led a team of 30+ hardworking, passionate, smart people and helped them and the company they work for achieve!
Why you might like this job:
We’re family owned and operated. It’s a high high impact role, and the company isn’t driven by building a product we hope will sell someday. We’re into open source and you should be also. We have a lot of good humans that work here, but we want to help them grow and fulfill their mental stimulation. We need help with that process and we as a company are going to accomplish amazing things along the way. You might consider yourself an Anti – Thought Leader…
- Great Wage
- WFH comfort package & company provided equipment
- 22 days paid time off (29 days after 3 years. Flexible time off after 5 years!)+ 4 paid holidays
- 4% retirement matching through Fidelity
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental and vision for employees
- Maternity and Paternity Leave
- Flexible hours
- Coffee shop next door
Crappy parking?Oh, I mean a cool downtown location for easy public transportation options…