Chief Marketing Officer
Two Barrels is hiring a Chief Marketing Officer.
We’re looking for a CMO with deep experience and understanding of all things digital marketing.
We find ourselves in a weird spot. We’ve grown about 780 percent over the last 3 years. A good marketing feat by itself, but extraordinary once you get into some of the details. Like… we actually don’t have a single employee with the word “marketing” in their job title…. so how in the crap did that happen? We don’t know… but it did. We have about 30-35 to maybe 50 people that you could say fall under the marketing umbrella. We have impressive folks and skillset groups like content writers, seos, ppc, affiliate managers, social media folks, videographers, full blown design team, UI/UX, front end developers, product owners, product managers, project managers, full blown revenue teams, and that’s just on the front end. We have a much larger team on the back end for the software. We have always done marketing without really thinking of it as marketing. We need to grow this group to be in the 150-200 employee range and want your help to do so. It’s all high impact, high volume, tough digital competition, and there’s no cap on where we could take it if we’re organized, have a plan, and execute.
We launch some big things and, although we know our goal when we begin, a week later, when other priorities come up, we might forget that we already have some heavy campaigns over here while we start something else. And well… our people accomplish amazing things, but sometimes it’s hard to remember that we’re all trying to track in one direction and stay with a consistent message.
So we’re looking for a been there done that CMO (with an e-commerce digital background) to help drive what we do. We’d like you to be extremely skilled at online marketing with the experience of having run larger campaigns and navigated companies with 800+ employees. We’d like you to eventually help come up with some of the vision, but that would be some time down the road after you truly get what we do and who we market to.
You’ll need to be comfortable creating and managing partnership strategies. We’ll want to hear about how you’ve adapted and overcome changes in the SEO space. We’d love to hear how you re-targeted existing customers in a way that wasn’t annoying. You should understand the nuances of managing a house of brands. Launching new marketing channels should be your wheelhouse.
Location:Spokane – Austin – Salt Lake City
Wage:Up to $350,000 DOE. It's a family owned and operated business, and as such, it's just a normal type salary compensation package. Relocation assistance available for Spokane only. Depending on your network and ability to attract talent locally, we are also considering candidates who already live near our Austin TX or Salt Lake City UT offices, but we cannot offer relocation assistance to these cities.
- Drive our marketing by understanding the whole story.
- Lead a current team of roughly 30-50 employees and grow it to 200-250.
- Run a 40-80 million plus DIGITAL budget.
- Gain customer trust through our marketing that leads to conversions.
- Evaluate our current channels and identify new ones for us to pursue.
- Communicate with our different skillsets and ensure coordination among them.
- We're about 95% working remote at this point and will probably be largely remote for awhile. You should be comfortable managing onsite and from a video screen.
- Connect with our 3 million plus business customers and retarget them with other offerings.
- We manage our company under the product concept.... and agile concepts. You should be comfortable working in this realm.
- Compete with very well funded funny money blowing VC and PE companies that don't care about CPAs.
- In depth experience running social, ppc, affiliate, seo, and all things digital marketing. We're 100% digital.
- Experience working in high volume/low price point industries, not low volume/high price point.
- Experience working in high volume website oriented business sales organizations. Think 30,000+ orders a day. It's a fire hose.
- Experience running marketing budgets of our size ($40 million+).
- You're a little wily and you like leading wily folks.
- Experience managing and strategizing vendor/brand relationships.
- Show us the pain you've gone through on a failed campaign and how you pivoted to success.
- Experience leveraging life-cycle marketing. Re-targeting existing customers.
- You've led a successful team of marketers and been a part of growing that team.
- You should have a background in e-commerce and Saas.
- Have a deep understanding of dumping leads into a funnel and increasing our conversion rates and life time values, while keeping our cpas as low as possible.
- Have some hyfluffery bouncing around up there about your stance on activation within logical decision based marketing versus the importance of just focusing on brand marketing and what your plan here would be. It'll take awhile, but once you get your head around what on earth we're doing here, you'll have a chance to chart the path we're on and probably have a pretty large budget to play with by that time.
- The job is in Spokane, WA (unless you already live in Austin or SLC). If you don't live in Austin or SLC, you must be in Spokane or be willing to relocate eventually, like maybe after a year or so, and for a little bit, it will primarily be onsite while you figure out what on earth is going on here, go back home, and maybe 6 months from now consider relocating to Spokane, even though like 95%+ of your group is currently working remote and most will probably stay that way indefinitely.
- Experience working with renewal/subscription based services.
- Previous experience leading and managing a remote team.
- Experience working with a house of brands, rather just one brand.
- You've been a CMO before. Like an actual CMO type role... but a digital focused one.
Why you might like this job:
As we keep scaling, it feels like the right time to hire a CMO. Like an actual CMO. A couple years ago we wouldn’t have been ready, but we are today. What seems really unique about this position is you have a blank slate. You could make a marketing group how you’ve always thought it might be made. Yet, you already have a very skilled team and a 40 million a year + budget at your disposal. And you’re currently kicking everyone’s rear. Like, we pick up twice the market share of our first closest competitor. There are many states where you could add up every single one of our competitors market share and it still doesn’t add up to ours. So you get to join a winning team. And if someone picks a fight, we typically throw the budget out the window and just duke it out. We’re family owned and operated, so no investors, no debt. Just the game, and the game is fun.
But we also acknowledge the game is changing, and we need to change as well.
We now find ourselves fighting against companies that don’t have to make anything pencil because they’re backed by venture capital. While we kick their faces in with a fifth of the budget, all while being profitable, the companies are becoming monsters. They just keep getting bigger, more sophisticated, smarter, more numbers based, more focused, while being fueled by more and more funny money, so it’s time for us to be more intentional about what we do here. We like the fight, but we want to position ourselves in as good of a spot as we can to keep winning, or at least not get arrogant, and get crushed by the next round of VC backed funny money startups with a couple hundred million to blow. We like competing against talented companies, though. It forces us to keep growing and improve our game. And we need someone like you to help us grow into the future.
- Great Wage
- WFH comfort package & company provided equipment
- 22 days paid time off (29 days after 3 years. Flexible time off after 5 years!)+ 4 paid holidays
- 4% retirement matching through Fidelity
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental and vision for employees
- Maternity and Paternity Leave
- Flexible hours
- Coffee shop next door
Crappy parking?Oh, I mean a cool downtown location for easy public transportation options…